Monday, January 23, 2012

Subida por la Vida

                                          Picture courtesy of CC search on Flickr through Fernando Reyes Palencia
Just last weekend, around 12,000 people got together and climbed el Volcan de Agua. This activity, besides being very fun, was for a noble cause. Since anyone can remember,Domestic violence has been a large problem throughout the world. This activity, called "Subida por la Vida" was an attempt to stop Domestic Violence. Unfortunately,many people think this act won't work. Some ask: "Do you really think that Domestic violence will stop just because a bunch of people climbed an inactive volcano?" What's your opinion? Do you think this activity could at least have some effect?

                                                                                            By Chris Galvez

9 comments:

  1. I don´t really thing that domestic violence will stop just because a bunch of people got together and climbed the volcano. One thing I do believe this activity will do is that it will show the people that are going through domestic violence that people are trying to stop and help them, that they are not alone in this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't climb the Volcan de Agua, but I would have loved to do it. I really hope that all the violence in Guatemala will stop thanks to this. I'm not sure if domestic violence will stop because a bunch of people climbed the volcano, but I think that maybe the government will do something that will stop the violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 12,000 people!! I remember when I climbed the volcano.. It was scary!! But it was Great!! I felt proud after. I wonder what people had in their mind while climbing el Volcan de Agua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this will help to show people that a lot of people care about preventing violence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knows? This activity may have people involved with violence think a little bit and tell themselves that what they are doing is completely wrong, especially when in a civilized society. I hope this will have an impact in the future and hopefully, with this, domestic violence will decrease. All we can do is wait and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get it, how were they planning on stopping domestic violence by climbing the Volcan de Agua? Did they take people that were victims of domestic violence? I don't understand how they were supposed to stop domestic violence. Although, effective or not, I believe it is a great activity, and had I known sooner, I might have joined in too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Climbing mountain and domestic violence don't seem to have much relationship. However, since so many people gathered to help families that are suffering from domestic violence, I think they will make an effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to agree with almost every comment. Climbing a mountain might show dedication to stopping violence but it probably won't stop it.

    ReplyDelete