Tuesday, November 20, 2012

GRAMMAR NAZI



By: Adriana Sánchez (12th)

What is a Grammar Nazi??? This is one definition:

Grammar Nazi (a.k.a. Grammar Police) refers to someone who believes it is his/her duty to amend any grammar and/or spelling mistakes made by others in conversation.

So basically a Grammar Nazi is someone who is constantly correcting other people's grammar mistakes, either in a verbal conversation or an online one. Those of you who know me well know that I am officially a Grammar Nazi. Well, maybe not officially, because I only correct people when they are talking, not chatting online! Anyways, a normal day in the senior class, David will say, "This doesn't works!" Or any other phrase that uses "does" and then the verb ending in "s". Whenever he says that I feel the need to call him out on that (yes, almost every single day; I persevere, okay?!), and yet he doesn't GETS it, which frustrates me! I'm still hoping that he'll learn someday! Have you ever been on Youtube reading the comments on a video, and then there's someone who makes a comment with a small grammar mistake, and then there's someone who corrects the commenter, and then he gets called out on it? You have to have seen this at least once, or on Facebook too... I have to say that this is annoying and I find it unnecessary.

Anyways, here are some of the most common mistakes that really frustrate me!!! Especially when they come from native English speakers… BUT, but, I'm not simply going to criticize, but help you all improve :) 

 Anyways, do you consider yourself a Grammar Nazi? Or does it even slightly bother you when people use bad grammar? Or are you a victim of Grammar Nazis?

-they're (contraction for they are), their (possessive), there (in that place, or introductory; equivalent to "hay" in Spanish)

Ex. They're going to the movie theater. 
      Their car is awesome.
      "Are you going to the beach?" "Yes, I'll see you there."
      There are many people here.

- and (interjection), an (article)

Ex. I have math and literature homework.
      He will give you an infraction.

- your (possessive), you're (contraction for you are)

Ex. Your book is in my house. 
      You're very hyper today. 

- it's (contraction of it is), its (possessive)

Ex. It's very hot today.
      The dog was in pain because its collar was too tight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment