Saturday, February 11, 2012

Birthdays!


CC Image courtesy of jessica.diamond 


Birthdays are literally the day you are born. But every single year, each and every one of us has a new birthday and we turn older. This is weird because you say,"It's my birthday!" It isn't actually your birthday. It is the day you were born but years later. 
   
Birthdays seem like a quite modern thing for me. I wonder if some of the ancient civilizations like the Romans or Greeks ever celebrated birthdays. It would be awesome to know. 
   
What do you usually do for your birthday? Which of your birthdays was your favorite? When is your birthday? What do you like the most about your birthday?
-By Roberto Miselem

6 comments:

  1. There is a birthday quote I really like, "Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that people that have the most, live the longest." Although it might seem stupid, it's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I'm not sure that Romans or Greeks celebrated their birthdays. It was such a long time ago, that we can't tell. Usually, I celebrate my birthday with a lunch, with family and friends. I think that my favorite birthday so far is my fifteenth birthday, because I went to Atitlan with my whole family and some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't do anything special for my birthday. I actually don't have my favorite birthday either... Anyway, the only thing that I love about my birthday is that my birthday is a national holiday in Korea, so I get a day off as my birthday present from the country. I just thought it was kinda fun to share... It just feels good to receive present from your own country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I do not have a favorite birthday, because I liked them all. I usually celebrate with family and friends. What I really like about my birthday is that it falls in vacations! This gives me a chance to do more things that I would not be able to do if I were in the school. My birthday is in December, so it is usually pretty fun and besides I get birthday presents and since Christmas day is near but far away from my birthday I get another present! I do not know about Greeks and Romans celebrating but that would be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont really care about my birthday because my birthday doesn't interest me. In Korea, in the new year, we turn older but i was surprised that i was one year younger than my korean age!! I think it's really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Roberto, it does seem weird. I haven't even though about it until now, but apart from this birthdays are one of my favorite times of the year. I like them because it's a reminder to me that I am getting older and that I am still alive.

    ReplyDelete