Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stage Fright


Well, we've all been doing these speeches lately (and I wish the people who haven't gone yet the best of luck) and I thought someone should write about the enormous pressure it puts on novices. I've done my fair share of acting, but it is always as different people. I was comfortable with being anyone other than myself on stage. Of course, it never got rid of the performance jitters, but I tended to do better in that rather than giving presentations in class. Being myself in front of so many people (even the 11 people in my grade) scared me so much because I knew, more than anything, that I was being judged on every thing I did.
Being nervous comes to everyone. We are so afraid of looking stupid in front of other people that we hold back from doing much at all. We develop regrets this way, and we should feel like we've lived up to our potential. I had to find a way to overcome my stage fright. So, during the speech before my own, I decided that I was going to emulate my old, spastic, English teacher instead of being myself. I needed to be more confident up on stage, and I remembered how insanely confident she would be during lectures. I know I could have done a much better job at being her, but I'm actually not a short-haired, blonde woman with bug-eyes. My point is that every person should have a trick that helps them throughout any performance. Confidence is key to a great performance.

By Victoria Arroyave (12th)

No comments:

Post a Comment